Witching Hour Cut-OutsYields: 3 dozen
Prep Time: 60 Min Prep Time | 3:30 Min Total Time
1 cup Land O Lakes® Butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 Land O Lakes® All-Natural Egg
1 (1-ounce) square unsweetened baking chocolate, melted, cooled
3 cups all-purpose flour1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
3/4 teaspoon baking powder1/4 teaspoon baking soda
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup Land O Lakes® Butter, softened
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 to 3 tablespoons milkFood color, if desired
1. Combine 1 cup butter and sugar in large bowl; beat at medium, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add 1/4 cup milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla and egg; continue beating until well mixed. Add melted chocolate; mix well. Reduce speed to low; add flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda. Beat until well mixed.
2. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a ball; flatten slightly. Wrap each in plastic food wrap; refrigerate until firm (2 hours).
3. Heat oven to 350°F. Roll out dough, one-half at a time (keeping remaining dough refrigerated), on lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with floured 2 1/4 to 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter. Place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Cut out center of half of cookies with Halloween-shaped mini-sized (about 1-inch) cookie cutters. Bake for 8 to 11 minutes or until set. Immediately remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely.
4. Combine all filling ingredients except milk and food color in medium bowl. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often and gradually adding enough milk for desired spreading consistency. Add food color, if desired.
5. Spread 2 teaspoons filling onto bottom of 1 cookie; top with cut-out cookie, bottom-side down. Repeat with remaining cookies and filling.
Tip: Mini-sized cutters can also be called small cookie or canapé cutters. They are often sold as a set of 8 or 10 shapes inside a round tin. Bake small center cut-outs at 350 ° F. for 4 to 5 minutes or until set.